Have you or your loved one been injured in accidents from dangerous road conditions? Our expert Tampa auto accident attorneys can help.
An estimated 2.3 million people are injured in car crashes each year, and over 30,000 lose their lives annually in deadly auto accidents according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Many of these injuries and fatalities are caused by what is referred to as “dangerous roads.”
Dangerous or unsafe roads can be caused by any number of driving hazards, such as:
- Potholes/Uneven Surfaces – Something seemingly harmless, like a pothole in the road or loose gravel, can cause damage to an automobile or cause a smaller vehicle, motorcycle or bicycle to swerve out of control. By law, these road hazards must be fixed immediately.
- Improper Design – Shoulder drop-offs, short merging lanes and dangerous dips and slopes could create unsafe conditions for drivers. Failure to provide proper signage for such dangers constitutes negligence.
- Poor Road Maintenance – Erosion, broken guardrails, malfunctioning traffic lights, worn off lane markers, deteriorated signage, and other dangerous issues can create unsafe driving conditions on poorly maintained roadways.
- Safety Failure – When an unusually high number of pedestrian or bicycle accidents occur in one spot, the cause can often be linked back to a lack of proper safety protections such as a crosswalk, signage or visibility.
- Negligent Construction – Failure of a road construction company to follow approved plans properly or use the correct materials can lead to a higher concentration of accidents and damages along a given roadway.
Lorenzo & Lorenzo is a highly skilled and accomplished personal injury law firm in Tampa specializing in car accident and dangerous road accident cases. We are fully prepared to remove the roadblocks in your case and fight for the compensation you seek.
Don’t settle for less than you deserve.
Top 10 Most Dangerous Roads in Tampa, FL
After analyzing nearly 18,000 accident reports in the Tampa area, Pinellas and Hillsborough County officials were able to determine the most accident prone highways, interstates and intersection. Tampa residents and travelers should take extra precaution when driving near these collision hotspots:
- U.S. 19 (especially at the intersections of Tampa and Curlew roads)
- Interstate 275
- Ulmerton Road
- Starkey Road
- Belcher Road
- East Bay Drive
- 66th Street N
- Seminole Boulevard (especially at the intersection of Park Blvd.)
- Hillsborough (State Route 580) and Lois Avenue
- Dale Mabry Highway and Waters Avenue
Can I Sue the Government for Accidents Caused by Poor Road Conditions?
The Government’s Duty to Maintain Safe Roads
The government has certain obligations to taxpayers to act reasonably to prevent hazardous roadways and ensure that unsafe roads will not endanger motorists who are driving with reasonable care. However, budget constraints make road repair work less of a priority – leading to government tort claims involving dangerous road accident injuries. Often, the government is more apt to pay these claims than begin a major construction project to fix the roads and highways.
Under the Federal Tort Claims Act, citizens who are injured due to unsafe or dangerous roads in Florida are allowed to sue the government for neglect, and may be reimbursed for damages.
Proving Fault in Your Florida Dangerous Roadway Accident Claim
Dangerous road cases are complex and expensive to prove. The burden of proof rests on the plaintiff to show that a public employee or contractor acted negligently, and that the negligence directly resulted in the hazardous road condition which caused the injuries or damages. Or, a plaintiff may have to prove that the government agency knew (or should have known) about the existence of an unsafe road, but did nothing to fix it or waited an unreasonable amount of time.
Even if driver error is to blame for a dangerous road accident, it is wise to consult with an auto accident attorney who can investigate whether the government agency responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the road can be held at least partly responsible for injuries and/or damage to the plaintiff and their passengers.
“I’m very grateful for the work he did on my case. He worked hard to get the most out of my case. He fights for people’s rights and I would hire him again if I ever needed a lawyer.”
Questions Your Dangerous Road Accident Lawyer May Ask
Due to the complexity of filing a tort injury claim for a dangerous road accident, it is highly recommended that you talk to a personal injury attorney who specializes in this practice area. During the consultation, your attorney may ask you some of the following questions:
- What road were you driving on, and which way were you traveling?
- Can you find the precise location of the road hazard? Is it near any businesses or landmarks?
- Can you describe the physical characteristics of the unsafe road condition?
- Were there any witnesses, or did you file a police report to document the incident?
Hiring an Expert Dangerous Roads Accident Lawyer
Choosing a top-rated attorney with the right skill, experience and expertise can make all the difference in these types of cases.
Lorenzo & Lorenzo has successfully represented clients all over Tampa, Clearwater and St. Petersburg, Florida in a wide range of personal injury cases – including car accidents and dangerous road accidents.
If you or a loved one have suffered serious injury caused by hazardous road conditions, our family wants to fight for you. Call or email us for a cost-free, commitment-free case evaluation today.