Semi-truck accidents tend to be much more devastating than car accidents. This is typically because semi-trucks, with their larger size and weight, can cause very serious damage to smaller cars or motorcycles.
In the moments following a semi-truck accident, it’s very important to know how to respond—not only to keep yourself and others safe, but also to preserve evidence should a personal injury lawsuit arise.
Here are a few important steps to take after a semi-truck accident.
- Get to a safe place. The most important thing you can do immediately after a semi-truck accident is to move your vehicle, if possible, off the road and away from further harm.
- Call the police. Even if the accident doesn’t seem serious, it’s very important that you call the police and file a report as soon as everyone is safe. Be sure to ask for a copy of the report; this is an important step, especially if you decide to file a personal injury lawsuit later on.
- Seek medical help. The health and safety of everyone involved is most important. Call an ambulance if necessary. Some injuries may seem minor or even nonexistent in the moment, but they can become worse if ignored. It’s important to get checked by a doctor even if you don’t feel you are injured.
- Look for evidence. If you are able, take the time to preserve evidence of the accident scene. This means taking pictures from numerous angles and distances, gathering contact and insurance information from others involved and taking statements from those who may have witnessed the accident.
- Contact your insurance company. In the event of a personal injury case, it’s vital that you make your insurance company aware of the situation as soon as possible. Failing to do so could hurt your case. That being said, you may also have to speak with the truck driver’s insurance company, and it’s best to state the facts and avoid providing any information that could put you at fault.
- Contact an attorney. Find an attorney in your area who specializes in truck accidents. Semi-truck accidents tend to be more complicated than car accidents due to higher risk of serious injury and difficulty nailing down liability. An experienced attorney will be able to help with these issues.
If you’ve been involved in a semi-truck accident in the Tampa area, our truck accident attorneys at Lorenzo & Lorenzo have the experience and the know-how to help you through a successful personal injury lawsuit. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Additonal Reading: What to Do When You Have a Car Accident