In May, two people passed away after a jet ski accident near the Tampa Courtney Campbell Causeway. The two jet skis collided, causing both individuals to experience fatal injuries.
As with traditional vehicles, jet ski operators can drive recklessly and cause serious harm to themselves or others. On the water, there are no lanes to keep everyone in line, and when inexperienced operators take the helm, summer can be a season that sees numerous jet ski accidents — especially in the Tampa area.
Common Jet Ski Accidents & Causes
Jet ski accidents can be caused by a variety of factors and mistakes made by many different parties. These can include:
- Driving the jet ski too fast
- Inexperienced operators
- Incomplete information provided by the jet ski renter
- Mechanical failure
- Lack of visibility
- Weather conditions
- Driving a jet ski under the influence of drugs or alcohol
A jet ski provides riders with hardly any protection against accidents, and combined with high speeds and agility, the damage can be severe if an accident does occur.
Additionally, colliding with another jet ski isn’t the only way to experience an accident; colliding with the water at such a high speed can be enough to get thrown off and get injured.
What You Can Do
There are a few steps you can take to make your time on a jet ski as safe as possible this summer:
- Make sure you fully understand how your jet ski moves and operates.
- Don’t let your adrenaline take over. Always move at safe speeds and keep plenty distant from other riders.
- Avoid using a jet ski on choppy waters or when a storm is likely.
- Never use drugs or drink alcohol while operating a jet ski.
If you experience any sort of accident this summer, from swimming pool accidents to DUI or motorcycle injuries, Tampa’s experienced personal injury attorneys at Lorenzo & Lorenzo can help you navigate the legal process. We take care of the hard work for you, and help you move forward with the compensation you deserve.
Contact us today for a free consultation.