Been in an accident with a semi – truck? Truck injury attorneys at Lorenzo & Lorenzo are experts at fighting for the compensation you deserve.
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), 3,802 large trucks were involved in fatal crashes and 104,000 people were injured in crashes involving commercial trucks in 2012.
Commercial trucks are classified as a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds or more. For comparison, the average passenger vehicle weighs about 4,000 pounds, while an 18-wheeler tractor-trailer can come in at a whopping 80,000 pounds – 20 times as much as a car.
In large part due to this drastic difference in size and weight, when accidents between semi-trucks and other vehicles happen they are often serious or deadly. A majority of those victims killed and seriously injured were in vehicles other than the truck.
In the same way, that truck crashes are usually more serious than car accidents, truck accident cases are also typically more complex and involved than car accident claims, especially if a wrongful death claim must be filed due to a fatality. For this reason, it is vital that you consult an experienced and skilled truck accident injury attorney who knows how to litigate in these types of cases.
Don’t settle for less than you deserve.
How a Tampa Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help You
When you bring your tractor trailer accident claim to Lorenzo & Lorenzo, we have expert attorneys that will start working on your case immediately. In each case we accept, our expert truck accident attorneys will take all the necessary steps to ensure a successful outcome, including:
- Investigating the accident. Your attorney will reconstruct your accident by reviewing police reports and photographs of the accident scene, examining your medical records, gathering witness statements, consulting with experts, and possibly even hiring a private investigator. Your lawyers will also look into whether the number of hours on the road by the driver exceeded those allowed by federal and state law.
- Dealing with insurance companies. Leveraging the information gathered during the investigation, your Tampa truck accident lawyer will commence negotiations with insurers in order to get you a fair settlement.
- Negotiating with the trucking company. In addition to negotiating with the insurance company, your injury attorney will get in touch with the trucking company who employed the semi-truck driver and act as your legal representative during the settlement negotiation process. Your lawyer will also ensure that the trucking company doesn’t destroy important evidence.
- Going to court. If negotiations with the insurance or trucking companies are unsuccessful or fall short, our skilled trial lawyers are fully prepared to fight for your right to just compensation by filing a lawsuit and presenting your case in court. Hiring a skilled litigation attorney helps ensure you get a fair settlement offer from insurers who would rather pay to avoid going to trial.
Tampa Tractor Trailer Accident Causes
Semi-truck accidents can be caused by a multitude of factors, including driver negligence and human error. Common causes of truck accidents include:
- Over-loaded cargo, or improper loading
- Rollovers caused by reckless or careless driving
- Inattention to other vehicles
- Non-compliance with trucking regulations
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Inadequate training of drivers
- Inadequate safety programs by trucking company
- Inadequate truck inspections/maintenance
Truck Accident Fault & Compensation
The FMCSA states that drivers of semi-trucks, tractor trailers and commercial vehicles are obligated to obey special guidelines that protect other vehicles by regulating maximum speed limits, consecutive driving time, logging requirements, weight and loading constraints, alcohol and drug use, and other important safety factors.
If a truck driver fails to abide by these and other Florida and federal regulations, and an accident occurs as a result, then the driver and the trucking company may be held liable for any damages or injuries caused by this negligence.
Multiple parties can be held liable for a tractor trailer accident in Tampa, including:
- The driver
- The owner
- The truck driver’s employer
- The trucking company
- The manufacturer
- The municipality in which the accident occurred
- Another vehicle/driver involved in the accident
Compensation for injuries sustained in a trucking accident can be awarded for such damages as current and future medical bills, totaled car, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, pain and suffering, wrongful death and other damages.
If you or a loved one have been involved in an auto accident with a semi or tractor trailer truck, you may be entitled to compensation. Call us at (813) 998-9529 to discuss your case with an experienced Tampa trucking injury attorney right now.